The pace of development here at Hotaru HQ has been blistering since the release of version 1.2 last month.
If you're new here and wondering what exactly Hotaru CMS is, think of it as "Wordpress without blogging". If Wordpress didn't do blogging by itself, you'd need plugins to do it for you. And if you had to make plugins, you wouldn't be limited to just blogging. You could make plugins for any kind of site, whether a blog, a social network, an online shop, etc. That's Hotaru CMS, a framework for making websites customized to your needs. As an example, check out the demo. It showcases a Digg clone made with Hotaru plugins.
Hotaru v.1.3 contains bug fixes, changes and a host of new features since version 1.2.
Here are some of the changes since Hotaru 1.2:
- Implementation of smartLoader
- Applied smartCache to Comment class methods
- Added additional indexes to database tables
- Reworked plugin hook checks with an array instead of cached database queries
- Shortened getUserBasic() by moving user settings and permissions into a separate function
- New cache for language files
- More caching in Plugin Management
- Updated interface
- More error checking
- Checks for an existing installation
- Checks essential PHP modules are installed
- If server permissions allow, then...
- - - You can enter settings via the browser instead of manually editing the settings file
- - - delete the install folder with one click when installation is done
Plugin Notification / Automatic Plugin Updates
- Ability to check if there are newer versions of your plugins available
- If server permissions allow, you can automatically update your plugins
On the plugin front, we've replaced SB Base with three new plugins that do the same thing: Bookmarking, Post RSS and Archive. All plugins have been updated for Hotaru 1.3, and most of them are more independent than before so can be used for non-social bookmarking sites.
Outstanding issues are listed on Assembla here:
Thank you to everyone who has reported bugs. Please continue to do so in the How-To and Troubleshooting forum.
[UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOW BELOW]