Author: Nick Ramsay
Last Updated: 2010/08/19
Tested on: Hotaru 1.4.1
Plugins Required: None
Plug & Play: Yes, but needs some preparation (see instructions)
Import a Pligg or SWCMS database into Hotaru CMS. Version 0.1 imports the following tables: Links, Comments, Users, Categories, Tags and Votes. It doesn't import favorites, messages, friend data or anything else. Please hire me if you have special requirements.
Difference to Pligg Importer
The Pligg Importer plugin used XML exports and tons of memory. It's also incompatible with the latest versions of phpMyAdmin and I've ended my support for it. Pligg2Hotaru uses SQL exports and works with batches of data to keep memory usage down. It is compatible with the most versions of phpMyAdmin.
Depending on the size of your Pligg database, importing each file can take a long time. This isn't a straight import. Almost every aspect of your Pligg database is changed. For example, all users will get a new id number, so every table with a user_id field needs updating with this new id. The same goes for link ids, category ids etc.
1. Make sure your Hotaru username and password match your old 'god' account from Pligg.
* If your Pligg username was 3 characters (e.g. "god" or "tom"), go to your Hotaru Account page and add "1" to your username (e.g. "god1" or "tom1").2. From phpMyAdmin (or similar) export your whole Pligg database as SQL, then import it into your Hotaru database (this will only work if your Pligg tables have a different prefix to Hotaru tables, e.g. "pligg_")
* If your Pligg password is not at least 8 characters and only contains letters, numbers and these symbols: ! @ * # - _ then you will need to change your password in Pligg before using this plugin.
* After changing your Hotaru username or password, log out and then log back in again.
3. Upload the "pligg2hotaru" folder to your plugins folder.
4. Install it from Plugin Management in Admin.
5. Click Pligg2Hotaru in the Admin sidebar and follow the steps.
When you've successfully imported your Pligg data into Hotaru and are satisfied it worked, you can delete all the old Pligg tables from the front page of the Pligg2Hotaru plugin. Some users won't be able to log in, so use the Admin Email plugin to inform them of these two points:
* If their username was 3 characters, they should add "1" to the end of it when they log in. After they have logged in, they can change their username again from their profile.Troubleshooting
* Passwords in Hotaru must be at least 8 characters and can only contain letters, numbers and these symbols: ! @ * # - _ Any user with a password that fails will need to use the "Forgotten Password" form on the login page to get a new password.
Big databases usually require some workarounds to prevent timeouts, etc. Here are some tips:
* If you are coming from SWCMS, consider using the SWCMS DB Cleanup module before importing your site (not sure if it works for Pligg. It probably does.)
* Export the links, comments, users, categories, tags and votes tables individually from your Pligg database and import them into the Hotaru database one-by-one.
* Export your tables with compression, e.g. "zipped" or "gzipped".
* If you have access to php.ini, change "max_execution_time" to 3600 seconds (1 hour)
* If using phpMyAdmin, open config.inc.php and add or set $cfg['ExecTimeLimit'] = 3600;
* If you don't have access to php.ini, try adding the set_time_limit function to the foreach loops in the each file. Alternatively, try .htaccess.
v.0.2 2010/08/18 - Nick - Fix for missing email values in Pligg
v.0.1 2010/08/16 - Nick - Released first version
Please click "Rate Thread" and give this plugin a rating. Thank you.