1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Admin Email going into Spam when PhpMail is used & no emails when SMTP is used

Discussion in 'Installation and General Troubleshooting' started by tktushonline, Oct 16, 2012.

1. tktushonline

tktushonline New Member

Hi
    I am having very weird problem...

Whenever I turn off SMTP, email message from 'Admin Email' goes into Spam folder of Gmail & if I activate SMTP under Settings, the emails are sent but never received on any mailbox folder.

I spoke to HostGator and they said you will have to ask the script providers about this issue.

Can anyone help me resolve this?

Thanks in advance

2. seekyt

seekyt Donor Donor

I had the same problem!

Did you recently switch IP addresses, or start a very new website and are just now having these issues?

It appears that at some point, a hotaru website was mercilessly spamming different email providers. Now, all emails that are structured even close to the default Hotaru email will go to spam.

There is a bright side! After 6-8 weeks, if you are not a real spammer the email providers will catch on and your email will suddenly appear in the inboxes.

SMTP didn't work for me either. You will have to make sure you have your php configuration and smtp plugins correctly configured. Even when you get it to work, it won't fix the spam problem. In fact, neither will doing anything different - once your IP starts showing up in the spam box for different reasons it will not stop suddenly.

According to different responses I've received online, the problem is that these emails are always sent to the "admin" email address, and BCC'd to different subscribers - they are never directly sent the email, so there are authentication problems.

Here is a quick checklist to make sure you aren't to blame:

1. Make sure you didn't purchase a blacklisted IP address.

2. Make sure your emails are properly formatted and have correct spelling.

3. Ensure you don't have a comment spammer on your website, or else don't send emails upon commenting if you cannot control spam.

Interestingly enough, you shouldn't have many problems getting the "admin email" plugin to send emails to the inbox most of the time. This is because the emails are directly sent instead of BCC sending.

I know it's not the answer you were hoping for, but I hope this sheds some insight and is applicable to your situation. This has happened twice to me with my Hotaru sites, both times when I switched to a new server/IP address. Hopefully it will pass for you like it did for me!