1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bootstrap 3.3.0 Released And Insights Into 4.0

Discussion in 'Bookmarking Discussions and More' started by valMETNG, Oct 29, 2014.

1. valMETNG

valMETNG Administrator Staff Member Admin

2. shibuya246

shibuya246 Hotaru Developer Staff Member Admin

That looks really good and I like their comment

I will try out 3.3 today

3. valMETNG

Sadly, it looks like the CDN still isn't working but I assume it will be soon.

4. shibuya246

I downloaded 3.3 and copied it into my libs/frameworks/bootstrap3 folder. Every worked without requiring any changes

I may add an option later in admin dashboard for loading jquery and bootstrap from cdns rather than from local file

5. valMETNG

I hard-coded my CDN, but I think that's a good idea. There are times (although they are very few) where the CDN actually goes down and you need to switch over. It would also make it easier to test future Bootstrap versions.

Edit: As an aside, I've found the best performance comes from the CDN, so I do recommend everyone use.

shibuya246 likes this.
  6. robin007

robin007 Well-Known Member

7. sereban

sereban Active Member

8. robin007

9. valMETNG

For anyone who has loaded 3.3 (Alan, you might be the only one), can someone please check the all_comments template to see if it's displaying correctly on your build? It loads via the user's profile page (left-side, click on comments). I think the updated Bootstrap messed it up, but I'm not sure as my build is so customized. I think it has something to do with the activity css style called info-box and, specifically, the min-height which is set to auto (an invalid value).

shibuya246 likes this.
  10. shibuya246

Thanks. I saw that last night and thought it was something I had changed when I was redesigning my front page. Glad to know that it came up on the bootstrap 3.3 update. I hadnt thought about that. I will find out what it is now and release a new plugin version for either Comments or Activity to fix it :)

11. valMETNG

There might be a cleaner way, but replacing min-height:auto with:
    Code:
    min-height: 50px;
    overflow: auto;

...worked for me.

shibuya246 likes this.
  12. shibuya246

thats neat way also, but if the comment got longer i wonder if min-height 50px would then be enough

I decided to move it away from using the media-object css and use a simple col instead divided as 10 and 2 in the 12 grid system

here is the code around line 47 of all_comments.php template for the comments plugin

PHP:
    <div class="info ">
                <div class="name row">
                    <div class="col-sm-10">
                        <strong class=""><?php echo ucfirst($username); ?></strong> <?php echo nl2br($h->comment->content); ?>                       
                        <div>in <a href="<?php echo $h->getPostUrlForCurrentComment(); ?>">
                              <?php echo $h->comment->postTitle?>
                              </a>
                          </div>
                    </div>
                    <div class="col-sm-2">
                        <div class='pull-right'>
                        <div class="time"><i class="icon-time"></i> <?php echo time_ago($h->comment->date); ?></div>
                            <div>
                                 <?php   // Show votes if enabled (requires a comment voting plugin)

if ($h->comment->voting == 'checked') {

$h->pluginHook('show_comments_votes');
                                        }

?>
                            </div>
                        </div>
                    </div>

</div>
            </div>
    If that looks ok, I will update the plugin

http://ipadrank.com/comments

valMETNG likes this.
  13. valMETNG

Actually, I tested it on very long comments and it appears to work. But your way is probably better.

14. shibuya246

I preferred the media-object approach because it seemed a more flexible solution than the cols
    http://getbootstrap.com/components/#media

I will try with your fix also and see what it looks like. Thanks

15. valMETNG

FYI - I see info-box in /activity/templates/activity.php too.

16. valMETNG

No, yours is the better solution. The .css throughout hotaru needs some major updating, and Bootstrap is a great standard to use.

17. valMETNG

18. valMETNG

Bootstrap Studio: A powerful web design tool for creating responsive websites using the Bootstrap framework. Cost = US$25.00. It's very slick :)

sereban and shibuya246 like this.
  19. valMETNG

And now a free Bootstrap design option that looks very cool for prototyping: http://pingendo.com/

20. robin007

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    valMETNG likes this.