1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use Hotaru for an aggregator/rss feed site?

Discussion in 'General Troubleshooting' started by marcolav, Jul 20, 2011.

1. marcolav

marcolav New Member

Hello all

I am wondering if Hotaru can be used to replicate sites like feedage.com , millionrss.com and such? Where essentially people submit an RSS feed rather than a link, and each submission has its own page/box/space that gets updates as the original feed gets updated too?

thanks!

Marco

2. seekyt

seekyt Donor Donor

Yes, this could easily be done using the API from embed.ly and by hacking the submission process of Hotaru a bit. Essentially, you could force the links that are submitted to point to an RSS feed, and then you could use embed.ly to actually display an updated version of the feed.

Actually, now that I think about it, you wouldn't really need embed.ly (since they require you to pay once you pass 10,000 pageviews per month now). There are a ton of scripts that will render an RSS feed as a widget. It would simply require some conditionals and a variable to be plugged into any script that does this.

Good luck! :D

3. marcolav

marcolav New Member

Thanks

I am not much of a tech, so I am afraid I would have no idea how to go about ' hacking the submission process a bit' . Also I do not want to render the RSS feeds as widgets, rather as normal links, except they display the rss feed content and keep it updated?

regards

Marco

4. PuckRobin

PuckRobin New Member

5. jmalmin

jmalmin New Member

Has anyone created this yet? Or is someone actively working on this?

Update: http://jetkitty.com/

I have created this on one of my Hotaru sites here. RSS submission ,validation,error handling,editing. Hotaru is very clean and understandable btw. If anyone sees this from the dev team.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  6. ruosis

ruosis New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]thanks, learning