1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.7 File Permissions

Discussion in 'Installation Specific Questions' started by Todd Rich, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Todd Rich

Todd Rich New Member Donor

Hi, I wanted to confirm if I am reading the instructions for file permissions properly.

The instructions say "Files should have permissions set to 644 and folders should be set to 755." I am assuming I should just set the folders to 755, but leave the files "inside" the folders alone. Is that correct? Or should I go through every folder and change the files to 644. I am assuming I am just changing the files "outside: the folders to 644.

2. valMETNG

valMETNG Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you just copy the files into the server, you shouldn't have to change anything. IIRC, the files and folders will all get the correct permissions by default.

3. Todd Rich

Hmm I've been transferring through the browser then extracting and I think for some reason some of the files have their permissions changed.

4. shibuya246

shibuya246 Hotaru Developer Staff Member Admin

I think you would be better off using FTP or you can set up Hotaru with a script like Softaculous as well

valMETNG likes this.
  5. valMETNG

Agreed. I use WinSCP.

shibuya246 likes this.
  6. Todd Rich

Ok since I've made substantial changes to my site, I may need to fix manually. Should the files within the folders be 644 or should the folder and everything in it (including files) be 755?

7. valMETNG

From here:
    Your server should have something set to automatically default to the correct permissions (i.e., whatever your hosting company considers the correct permissions given how they've setup the environment).

8. Todd Rich

Ok, thank you.