1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus Change from Bookmarking to CMS Base

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Nick, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

It recently dawned on me that the Hotaru "core" is nothing to do with social bookmarking at all, and is really a base for any kind of website. So although I'll continue working on a suite of plugins for a social bookmarking site, I'll change the description of Hotaru to something more generic. That means that version numbers from now on will apply to the core only, and plugins will be developed separately.

From a marketing perspective, I see this as a very positive move. Rather than become known as a social bookmarking site and have to compete with platforms dedciated to bookmarking, promoting Hotaru as a base CMS for people to build on should broaden its appeal. This move will make Hotaru more attractive to developers in different niches who might use it as a framework on which to build their own sites.

Another bonus of this strategy change is that we no longer need to wait months and months before Hotaru can go into Beta and Release Candidate testing. Sure, it won't be of much use out of the box without its plugins, but hopefully people will be encouraged to make their own plugins, right?

In light of this, expect some forum reorganization and other changes with the forthcoming 0.3 Alpha.