1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HotaruFiltr Freemium Theme

Discussion in 'Themes' started by Stuart, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Hey guys okay i will try and reply to everyone individually in the post :)

@waclavr I will have to do some testing to try and replicate these errors so it may be late tonight or tomorrow before i can get any indication as to why you are receiving those errors. It definitely seems to be something to do with the sidebar story tabs so at least we have narrowed it down and by posting that image you helped a damn lot. Thanks for that ;)

@scrt First off thank you for your kind words and support.

The structure of folders within the template release is compiled like that for a specific reason. Inside the main package you have two folders titled theme & plugins this is the same structure as inside the Hotaru content folder meaning new users can simply upload those folders to their content folder within Hotaru and they are good to go. This method from previous experience makes it much simpler for new users to understand exactly where the files should be placed.

The actual theme folder inside themes is titled hotarufiltr which is the actual name of the theme, in your hotaru admin control panel you should see two themes after install default & hotarufiltr. This is why the folder structure within our template release is the way it is. As for pligin updates etc we have not edited any plugins aside from adding a much needed container DIV with a css class to the Who Voted plugin which will help us and many others with themeing that particular plugin in the future. Any other plugins within the package are the latest ones from the forum and are only included so new users don't have to hunt around for them in the forums, HotaruFiltr does not touch any code within the Hotaru Core or plugin files to achieve it's design or features..

I do agree with your bug tracking and support philosophy however and I will look into a better process for getting bug feedback for HotaruFiltr when I get some free time.

As for donating to our time for this template it's always appreciated when people give some of their hard earned cash but I would personally prefer if you donate anything you can to the actual Hotaru project itself rather than me. If I do receive any donations I made the decision before releasing the theme to forward them on to the HotaruCMS team to help support the core development of the Hotaru project as without the core you wouldn't have this theme ;)

I hope that all makes sense to you :)

@Dannyb My top tip would be to read the documentation scrt has provided a nice link for you and ask any questions you have here in the forums and we will try to help answer them as best we can ;)

Phew okay hope that answered everyone's questions and now time for some dinner hehe 8)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. scrt

scrt New Member

I fully understand the structure u use. I made the suggestion for user to select in theme settings. And having the folder called Stuart or FPM Design rather than theme to thus provide a more meaningful reference name.

For universal plug and play, imho, replace the logo.png area (with the hotaru baby firefly logo?) and handle an input text bold display for there site name? Appitze image on his site can be considered text with blue background. Currently, a user needs to replace the logo.png with another graphic image. Thus, a need to hire a graphic artist if not an artist or gimp incline. Thus, not truly an off the shelf product. As I write, a choice to use commented code for image or code for site name to be displayed in bold text? Like if there can be off the shelf product for there is always a need for customization. LOL, where is the firefly to guide me in this tangle web for a universal cms (even a tiny baby firefly logo I cannot find for product branding, hint, hint)?

I like this design and tempted to say iu created a standard. The fact of handling real estate space efficiently. It is one of the things I look at in graphic design and design usage is another without going on and on. Other designers, please forgive me for making this comment since I did not look at the other premium packages. tx

Hip, hip, hooray for your support to this project for I do believe in this project vision with Ramsay at the helm. This site cost money and the forum vbulletin fund drive raise about $130 which was short and off target. Lurking thru material to understand. Bandwidth cost money.

Please do not take my comment too harsh and we are just opening our eyes to concepts. -debate. And u have the final say. tx

Edit: Grr, hate retyping below for I cannot recall what key my finger did what or which window.

Dannyb, u are welcome. Congrats on your first install and that is a major accomplishment. I had trouble along the way and I documented to make it easier for others. Forum is a good source for information if documented properly for others to find with searches. After this post, I notice there are 3 mono-dialogue and it can become a big thing like post-image (18 pages) for a user to thread thru (go thru it & u will understand). There is edit and Delete in advance (lucky to found days after shooting myself in the foot with my post). PM on how u attach image for had to use flickr. In your last post with reference to waclavr, Stuart acknowledge there is a problem in widget_story_tabs.php. And if u add or elaborate your events then it becomes helpful for a bug need to be recreated, sometimes, by programmer to fix. Would not mention again about consolidation of mono-dialogue post.

Limitation of this product:
    -moz-border-radius-bottomright: or border-top-left-radius: for rounded corner create a question on internet explorer. What is the lowest version that IE will display properly. Not up on css and too lazy to research for I have enough R&D on my plate.
    - Image size is limited and some web owners believe in a large picture to define there site. Have not look at how to hack.
    - In every design there is a plus and a minus. We save on real estate space but user has to look in a box and to select in box (2 click step. In default or other theme, they are shown and thus not hidden with user told 'Best of all time' with a one click step to select 24hours, 7, 30, 365 days (not hidden).
    I am not critical but just letting people know in design, there is always a compromise versus ease of use for internet users (number of clicks to get).
    -Data mining. Go0g13 analytic is an excellent tool for site owners and is use a lot since it is free & powerful. For an end user, go0gl3 gathers so much data from u to do an effective marketing. Email interacting with gmail for surname, direction help for info on your address, travel agenda; cookies, etc.. LOL, go0g13 knows more about u than yourself. Analytic is effectively hidden to end-user unless u analyze sites to discover it is every where. User surfing privacy invaded for humans make mistake on the internet with go0g13 tracking power. How is the data going to be use? Privacy enforce in European country. End-user Analytic designer to use effectively.

Stuart:
    In plugin management, I know what version for it is displayed there. For theme, how do I know what version on my live site? Is there a txt file or ver mention in any of the php file or file? I know when I download, the folder name has hot...theme ver 1.0.1 but the protocol is to carry the content of that folder to my live site. I would like to give u the version number regarding my environment and busy to reload for working on other things with 8 active project viewing stuff.

I notice you use <div id="sorts-menu"> and I am wondering if you neglected to define sorts-menu? I am going crazy retyping and need to do productive work with no time to confirm or give version number. I believe I am using ver 1.0.1 which is the latest. If I am hallucinating sorts-menu can u let me know and sorry. I believe it is not define and my eyes can deceive me when u have been busy with all that css coding.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  3. Dannyb

Dannyb New Member

thank you scrt for the link I had seen all of that will go through it all again to see if it makes sense.

Has anyone done any vimeo vids for tutorials...always much easier following that than text.

For example...all the hotarucms sites i've looked at have exactly the same "Register", "login" pages layout/style/wording etc....where do these pages come from? and how do you change it so that the registration email request will get sent to me?

I know i'm probably asking real stupid newbie questions, but if someone could explain that I would really appreciate it. Thanks

edit: ignore me Im in the wrong section anyway, I've just installed the quick start plugin packs which is helping, so think im getting there.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. Dannyb

Dannyb New Member

ok for anyone else who happens to chance upon this thread and the issue I saw...it was to do with my xampp verion being used (xampplite) which was using old php..my bad should have spotted that earlier...upgraded to latest xampp and seems to be working a lot better now. Thanks

5. Dannyb

Dannyb New Member

Hi Stuart, just to confirm, I also get the same as waclavr

Attached Files:

6. shivachettri

shivachettri New Member

Hi there Stuart I too am getting the same problem, I am using Linux VPS running CentOS.. Any fix to this issue
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  7. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Hi Shiva,

I looked into the error yesterday and hopefully will be able to do some more testing for an hour tonight to find a solution. for now see if disabling the top story tab widget from the admin panel allows you to use the theme until I can get a good run time wise of resolving this error :)

8. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

If you are one of the users receiving this error please let me know what version of PHP is installed on the server where you are hosting Hotaru.

Thanks

9. Dannyb

Dannyb New Member

Info taken from XAMPP Install (latest download froma few days ago), is this useful for you?

* Apache/2.2.17 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8o PHP/5.3.4 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
    * MySQL client version: mysqlnd 5.0.7-dev - 091210 - $Revision: 304625 $
    * PHP extension: mysql

10. shivachettri

shivachettri New Member

My Linux VPS has PHP Version 5.2.14....

11. ecciran

ecciran New Member

Hi Stuart,
    please help me for error
    Notice: Undefined variable: hotaru in /home/xxxx/public_html/vote/content/themes/themes/widget_story_tabs.php on line 23

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/vote/content/themes/themes/widget_story_tabs.php on line 23
    style="display:none;"> Top Posts

[​IMG]

12. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Hey all,

V1.0.2 of HotaruFiltr has been released, it should fix the sidebar php errors some of you were having and we also added a Top All Time tabbed area.

Let me know if your errors are gone now ;)

Cheers

13. adda4u

adda4u New Member

Unable to display ads

can u help me out

favslice.com
    Sri

14. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Have any of the users who experienced the PHP sidebar errors tried V1.0.2 yet? If so can you report back if the errors are now gone for you. Thanks

15. objective

objective New Member Donor

1.02 fixed the sidebar errors for top posts etc for me.

That just left one error in the saved posts area of the side bar.I cleared all caches - no effect.
    Error produced in saved posts area:
    Notice: Undefined index: saved_posts in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/content/plugins/save_post/templates/save_post_widget.php on line 10
    Saved Posts
    No saved posts​

At this stage I had not ever saved a post. I then saved a post, The saved posts area updated to show the details of the post, the error remained at this stage. I then refreshed and the error disappeared.

16. rmckin6412

rmckin6412 New Member

Hey Stuart (and admin)

This is just great stuff!

Today I was able to create my site and with your theme I have it up and running.

It is Bookmarking for Cooks!

With that said I am experiencing a few issues. Since I do not know much about Hotura CMS or your theme it is difficult for me to determine where my problems lie.

1. I have the sidebar "submit new content button" enabled and I am getting a 404 error. It is looking for http://cooking.edu.pl/submit/ which does not exist.

2. The bookmarks actual are directed to http://cooking.edu.pl/index.php?page=1
    rather than the actual web site of the bookmark. Why is this?

It is probably something stupid I overlooked so pardon me for asking dumb questions but I would appreciate a little help.

thanks

Ron

17. rmckin6412

rmckin6412 New Member

I figured out the answer to question 2 above. It is in the user manager plugin.

18. objective

objective New Member Donor

I think this is because the theme assumes you are using friendly URLs

Fixing this is a two step process

1. edit the .htaccess file in your root folder using the instructions contained therin.
    2. Go to Admin -> Settings and change the "friendly urls" setting to true.

Hope this helps

Stuart and rmckin6412 like this.
  19. rmckin6412

rmckin6412 New Member

Thanks Donor - That did the trick!

20. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

@Ron fantastic news that you found my theme useful to begin your site with and it seems like objective has kindly solved the submit content button 404 error for you :)

Hopefully this week I may get some free time after working hours to improve the theme some more and add a few minor bug fixes to the next release.