1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Shrink List's Summary Length

Discussion in 'General Troubleshooting' started by done, Dec 10, 2010.

1. done

done New Member

Hi, I'm beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what I'd think is a simple problem: trying to shorten the post summaries on the main lists. But I simply cannot find where I need to change. Need help!

2. petsagouris

petsagouris Design & Development

Unfortunately there is no setting for adjusting the summary length (maybe this should be added later on).
    In the meanwhile go to plugins/bookmarking/bookmarking.php at around line 284 where you will find:
    PHP:
                    $meta_content truncate($meta_content200);
    and change the 200 into what you need it to be.

Condition-Human likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

@petsagouris, I think you've made a mistake there, that will truncate the meta description, not the post descriptions on bookmarking "list" pages.

The solution is actually in Admin -> Plugin Settings -> Submit. There's an option to reduce the summary length.

4. petsagouris

petsagouris Design & Development

@Nick: deeply sorry for that mistake.

I forgive you! :D - Nick

5. done

done New Member

THANKS

Thanks! wow I feel dumb, I knew it had to be somewhere reasonably accessible. My eyes have crossed over that many times, but I guess from my experiences with RSS reader I had assumed it was something like a maximum length for submission.

6. Condition-Human

Condition-Human Active Member

Thanks for the truncate tip, after looking at the bookmarking.php it was obvious what line to change, great stuff

7. Condition-Human

Condition-Human Active Member

After modifiying... bookmarking.php at around line 284 where you will find: as summary lenght value ( defualt 200 )

I had to change the settings in the submit plugin too, this was also set to a max value of 200.

I have set mine to 500, this now displays 5-6 lines of text as a summary instead of 2-3 lines.

Comments welcome....