1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instant email for subscriptions

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by valMETNG, Jun 2, 2013.

1. valMETNG

valMETNG Administrator Staff Member Admin

I'm not sure if I'm doing something incorrectly or if it's a "feature" of the forum software. I keep subscribing to the Download Hotaru CMS 1.5.1 thread, but I'm not always receiving emails and have to go to subscriptions constantly to update notifications. Ideally, I'd like to be able to subscribe to a thread once (which also theoretically should be automatically happening when I post in it) and then receive emails whenever anyone replies in that thread (i.e., to anything). It seems like perhaps you can only subscribe to individual replies?

If that's the case, is there a way to get an .rss feed of all new replies in individual or all threads (i.e., not just when someone posts a new thread, as we can get through http://feeds2.feedburner.com/hotarucms)? I think it would not only help the community stay more engaged, but also allow community members to answer questions/troubleshoot each others' problems more (so that folks like Alan and Nick can spend more time on great new functionality, which they do so well). :)

Just looking for an easy way to see whatever is posting.

shibuya246 likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

You might already be doing this, but at the bottom of the "Quick Reply" form is a "Go Advanced" button. Click that then scroll down for "Additional Options". You can check a subscribe box and select how you want to be notified there.

3. valMETNG

Indeed I am. However, for some reason, it still appears that I miss getting many posts within a thread. It's almost as if that option only applies when someone relies to my particular post. Unfortunately, if someone just makes a post in the thread that isn't a reply to me, I don't get emailed. So if you're wondering who on your access logs is constantly F5ing on a thread, that would be me :)

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

How about the "Thread Tools" dropdown at the top of each thread. It has a "Subscribe to this thread" option. Same result?

5. valMETNG

Correct, as the only option it's showing me right now on that thread is to unsubscribe. So it KNOWS I'm subscribed to the thread. Perhaps there's some intelligence built into the forum script that says "Naw, we don't want that guy to know about this post. He'll just cause trouble. So let's not email him a notification." Damn AI.

6. valMETNG

Latest Posts as .rss feed?

A shot in the dark, but figured there isn't any harm in asking :)

On the forum main page, there is a column to the right called "Latest Posts." I don't suppose there's a way to get latest posts as an .rss feed, is there?

shibuya246 likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

There might be a way, but you'd have to ask vBulletin. I've tried Googling an answer, but can't find one, sorry.

8. shibuya246

shibuya246 Hotaru Developer Staff Member Admin

I saw this article
    http://www.phpfriend.com/display-vbulletin-latest-threads-on-an-external-page/

and tried this
    http://forums.hotarucms.org/external.php?type=RSS2

but not sure exactly what list i am looking at

You can see the result on http://ipadrank.com on the right in the 2nd rss feed location

using the plugin rss_show_lite to display it

9. valMETNG

shibuya246 likes this.
  10. valMETNG

Latest Posts (or maybe vbulletin in general) must have a cron or something that only occasionally updates the front page different from when you click on Latest at the top because my .rss feed hasn't updated and neither has the Latest Posts on the front page. Yet I know there are new posts. It must not be instantaneous (i.e., when a new post is submitted).

11. shibuya246

i think vbulletin caches it but i cant see from where

12. valMETNG

With this hint, I did some searching and found this article. When you have a moment, would you mind please checking vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > Server Settings and Optimization Options and checking what Cached Posts Lifespan is set to? It probably isn't the issue, but thought it might be worth a look.

However, according to this (as well as other research I did), vbulletin has had rss problems for quite some time. I think we should use Hotaru as the forum software - its .rss works great! (big grin)

13. shibuya246

Thanks. I checked this but the caching here is to keep a copy for quick display as opposed to the listing of data.

"Number of days to maintain a cached copy of a post. This makes threads faster to display, but means that each post takes approximately twice the storage space."

14. valMETNG

I figured as much. Thanx for checking. I'm always reminded (prodded?) by articles I read that .rss is dead anyway. Call me 'old school,' but I shave with a safety razor and shaving brush too. :)

15. shibuya246

I have an iphone app I made which is dependant on rss and was using google reader to load the feeds into the app. I have to find an alternative before the end of this month. Have been trying to set up a Hotaru CMS site to try and handle it. RSS is not hot but its not dead yet. RSS is a very quick way of getting content distributed to people.

16. valMETNG

I think back to learning and coding in COBOL (longer ago than I wish to remember). People would tell me that COBOL would be dead soon, as would mainframes. Client-server was just too hot. Neither is dead yet :)