1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating from a pligg/swcms database: What's your strategy?

Discussion in 'General Troubleshooting' started by nothingman, Dec 4, 2009.

1. nothingman

nothingman Active Member

I believe I'm one of those who are dying to migrate from swcms/pligg to hotaru and considering that most of us are from the swcms and pligg brigand, I thought of starting this thread. Now, I've already used the swcms database clean-up module with no glitches and with excellent results.

Example:
    However, even after using the DB clean-up module, I'm still in a dilemma.
    Here's my case:-
    - The size of the swcms links table is 18.7 Mb (6250 rows)
    - The size of the swcms comments table? 146,622 rows! *gulp*

I've tried the suggestions that Nick made HERE, like using WAMP, increasing the FILE SIZE LIMIT and the MEMORY LIMIT but the connection is always reset (importing the data to the database fails).

That said, I just wanted to know what your plans are or would be if you had a database as big (or bigger than) the one I have mentioned :confused:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Good topic. I've been thinking about this for a while, too.

First, in response to your import issues:

If you are using WampServer, from the system tray icon, open PHP -> php.ini and try changing this:

; Maximum time (in seconds) for connect timeout. -1 means no limit
    mysql.connect_timeout = 60

I've never changed it before, but it might work.

Second, migration strategy...

I recommend waiting as long as possible before migrating your live site to Hotaru. We're making so many changes that it would be best to wait until we are more stable. My goal (no promises) is to have 0.9 out by Christmas and the first release candidate (RC1) by February 1st. That's when I hope to move JapanSoc.com to Hotaru.

Hotaru is still missing Favorites, Comment Voting, Friends and Private Messaging. I hope to make plugins for all those features, but probably only the first three will be added to the Pligg Importer.

If you use the Pligg Importer now, you won't be able to import those other three tables later unless you re-import everything.

3. carlo75

carlo75 Design & Development

Hi nothingam,
    in my case I've imported in about 2 hours this numbers:

- links: over 52.000 - 95 Mb
    - tags: 190.000

I've increased mysql.connect_timeout to 600 (but for other software setting)!

4. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

I haven't tried the importer plugin but just doing a regular restore from backup sql files to my server would time out unless the file was zipped. Reading the readme file in the Pligg importer the files have to be unzipped. Would there be any benefit of future versions of the plugin be able to accept zipped backups?