1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More From 0.1

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by JonH, Sep 20, 2010.

1. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

More From
    Version: 0.1
    Author: Jon Harvey w/ help from Nick
    Created on: 2010/09/19
    Last Updated:
    Tested on: Hotaru 1.4.1
    Plugins Required: Search 1.2, Bookmarking 0.5 (tested with)
    Plug & Play: Yes
    Supported: Yes

Description
    This plugin will install a link under the post title to search your site for more posts from that post's root domain. Similar to Digg.com

Instructions
    1. Upload the "more_from" folder to your plugins folder.
    2. Install it from Plugin Management in Admin.

Revision History
    v.0.1 2010/09/19 - JonH -Released first version

Please click "Rate Thread" and give this plugin a rating. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. kmai

kmai New Member

All that is to improve and options are always welcome

Thanks

Ps. Attached Thumbnails is always a good

3. objective

objective New Member Donor

Really nice
    Works perfectly and is un-obtrusive

Thanks

installed!!

JonH likes this.
  4. objective

objective New Member Donor

If you allow posts without links then the "more from link" will have your domain which doesn't make sense.
    I made the following change

change :
    echo "<a href='" . $h->url(array('search'=>$get_domain)) . "'>" . $h->lang["more_from_domain"] . $get_domain . "</a>\n";

to:

if ($get_domain !== "mydomain.com")
    {
    echo "<a href='" . $h->url(array('search'=>$get_domain)) . "'>" . $h->lang["more_from_domain"] . $get_domain . "</a>\n";
    }

where mydomain.com is your domain.
    Then it skips these posts.

Nick likes this.
  5. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

Your welcome :) .

If I attached a thumbnail it would have to be circled and a big arrow, it's not much to see other than the function of it...just the site from the submission's main domain like hyperlinked to search for more posts from that site. Just like Digg.com's stories.

Good idea objective, I thought about that but figured it's nice to see all submissions that are editorial as well. Maybe the next version this can be optional in admin. Or make the link just say "editorial" or equivalent if the submission doesn't have a link.

And yea some url's might not turn out right, I tested a bunch but I'm sure there's something exotic I missed!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  6. kmai

kmai New Member

7. kmai

kmai New Member

Example two (taken from Digg)

exemplo 2.PNG

@objective
    please how you did it work?
    Thanks

8. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

Hi Kmai,
    Yea i wasn't sure which way to have it as default. Try to replace your more_from.php with this one and I think it should leave the subdomain attached to the url. I tested hastily so be sure revert back if it gives you problems!

Attached Files:

9. kmai

kmai New Member

Hi John,

Sorry it did not work
    he takes "blogspot.com" and list all blogs regardless of the name of the blog
    for sites not "blogspot.com" works well listing all the posts of the same User (site)
    only with "blogspot.com" list all posts from different users (site) considering only "blogspot.com"

Thank you for your attention

10. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

Hmmm it worked for news.yahoo.com and channel.nationalgeographic.com on my test site.
    That's what I use on my swcms site and it works too. Maybe someone else can have a stab at it. Make sure you cleared your cache.

11. kmai

kmai New Member

12. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

I see, I thought it was the regex trimming the subdomain off but it's using Hotaru's search so it will bring up anything with "blogspot" in url. It will take a more complex plugin to bring up only that site's stories.

13. kmai

kmai New Member

Sorry JonH

but the solution might be to "profile"
    "All users posts" which works the same way
    so that the posts are selected by users
    maybe it is a provisional solution until it is discovered the bug in the sub-domain "blogspot.com"

Thanks

14. kmai

kmai New Member

Sorry Jonh

deactivated the plugin until the bug is resolved or until it do what it promises

Thanks

15. Kyan

Kyan Donor Donor

I'm having trouble with it, too, but it seems related to the search function. I see nothing submitted from www.ft.com ("ft.com") for example when I click on the More from domain link. And I also find nothing when I simply enter that into the search box and hit enter.

16. Gunaxin

Gunaxin Well-Known Member

I can confirm similar functionality. Certain domains just don't seem to appear in searches. Its a problem outside of this plugin, but just highlighted by it. Nick any thoughts on why certain searches fail? For example : http://links.gunaxin.com/search/coedmagazine.com/

17. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member