1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newspaper-ish theme

Discussion in 'General Troubleshooting' started by ties, Feb 26, 2010.

1. ties

ties Theme & Plugin Development

hey,

i read this post and started working on something.
    i haven't started in code yet, but it might not be what you're looking for so i thought i'd show it first
    bye
    Ties
    oh and i maybe i find time i'll start learning how to make plugins, i really like this community

Its finished, you can download it here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    williamd and JonH like this.
  2. Pliggs

Pliggs New Member

Looks good, can't wait to see it in action.

ties likes this.
  3. williamd

williamd New Member

Definitely cool. Well done!

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Very creative! I like it :)

As for a default theme, Hotaru 1.1 comes with an old, gray template from when we were in beta, not the Shibuya theme which is currently on the demo and shown in your first attachment. I'm not sure at this stage what to do with the default theme, but I'm very keen to see our Theme Downloads section grow, that's for sure.

5. ties

oh i'll check it out, a yes i see... But because this was the theme on the demo site i thought it would be easily recognised and compared to the new theme. Maybe i'll design some more, as you said
    so do i

6. ties

hey guys got a static page kind of working just need to finish the footer and the design is in code, now only convert the static page to a theme, but i think ill be fine with the great docs.

static demo text head
    static demo img head

oh and (constructive) criticism is welcomed aswell as compliments :rolleyes:
    bye,
    Ties

7. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

Really cool, that's a unique way to approach a simplistic theme. I can easily picture a sites name in "New York Times" type font on the header, but that would be something as an image since that's a non-standard font.

The only thing I would change, more of a personal preferance is the vote number shrink it to something like 2em instead of 4em.

A story thumbnail or teaser images will look really nice with this template. (...module not created yet).

8. ties

yeah, there are ohter options like dynamic (with that i mean generated) images, flash and js+canvas but this is easy to make :p and modify. if people are going to use an image they might aswell include the wave and make a full width image

(not what i did here:

)

that'll save a little space and time.