1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Profile Image 1.0

Profile Image

1. sachingk

sachingk Well-Known Member

sachingk submitted a new resource:

Profile Image - Profile Image

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
    ciprianpurcaru, mik, skorpyo and 10 others like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for developing this plugin, sachingk! It's something that a lot of people have requested.

3. nothingman

nothingman Active Member

Will test it right away! Thanks a lot for this Sachin. :cool:

4. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

This is great for sites that have a less techy member base. Unfortunately some people still don't know what a Gravatar is!

5. kmai

kmai New Member

sachingk likes this.
  6. sachingk

Hi Kmai ,

Thanks for using my plug-in.... Please feel free to report bugs in this plug-in so that i can solve them.

Thanks once again.

7. mneodor87

mneodor87 New Member

Thanks sachingk! I put the line from Step 2 right under <?php echo $h->showMessage(); ?> in the users_edit_profile.php file and that made it work great. Now each users' image is distinct.

Eric likes this.
  8. petsagouris

petsagouris Design & Development

I've taken the liberty of adding this plugin to the SVN. For easier listing later on.

Nick and sachingk like this.
  9. sachingk

Ya that's fine petsagouris!

10. Kyan

Kyan Donor Donor

This is a very needed plug-in, so thank you! Unfortunately, it is not working for me. I downloaded version 0.7, but installed in the admin panel it is labelled 0.5. Maybe just a version number error? I used the gravatar.php in the post and cleared all the cache, etc. Any idea what else I should look at? Hotaru itself is up-to-date.

The problem is the upload. I can choose an image and it meets size & extension parameters and I see the tiny version of it next to the choose file button, but once the page refreshes nothing has changed and I still have the default hotaru avatar.

11. mneodor87

mneodor87 New Member

It says Version .05 in the admin panel for me, too, but I'm using the .7 version and it's working. That isn't the issue.

I was having similar problems that you described, I fooled around with a few things but I think what made it work for me was what I posted above- put the plugin hook from step 2 just below the line <?php echo $h->showMessage(); ?> in the users_edit_profile.php file. Then clear the caches, and I even had to close my browser window then open it up again, then it worked.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    Kyan likes this.
  12. sachingk

Hi Kyan ,

I think you have not created the required folder i.e (Step 4 )... please create it with the proper name.

13. kmai

kmai New Member

Hi sachingk,

an update is possible to use both plugins at the same time
    gravatar plugin and profile image
    would have two options!
    what do you think?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  14. sachingk

Hi kmai ,

That may be a good plan. But most of the people don't know what is Gravatar . Gravatar has not gained it's popularity amoung common people. May be in later days I think I should integrate this with Facebook API, So that the Facebook Profile Image will be grabbed.

15. Geraldo

Geraldo New Member

I've followed your instructions exactly but it does not work when I try to hit the upload button. Instead, I get an error message saying that the upload.php does not exist. However, I looked in the file system and the file IS there. What's up with that?

16. sachingk

Hi Geraldo ,

When you download the plug-in you get the folder with the version number. Please remove the version number and then install the plug-in. That has to work.

Thank you.

17. rpermana

rpermana Donor Donor

Is there a way where i can set the size of the picture..?

Few of my members are uploading big profile pictures which slow down my site..

From speed test, 1 picture took up 9 sec to load.

18. sachingk

Hi rpermana ,

Happy to see you using my plugin. Please open the upload.php file in the templates folder of the plugin. You find the following line of code.

Code:
    define ("MAX_SIZE","100"); 
    In the above code value of the MAX_SIZE states the size of the file is 100KB.

Further more ,
    The picture files will take more time to load because they are being accessed from the same domain. Any browser has a capacity to retrieve 5 files (max) at a time from a single domain. So you need to spreed the images over different domains/sub-domains. This feature cannot be achieved from this plug-in as of now. I am planning to re-code the plug-in so that load time will reduce.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
    rpermana likes this.
  19. rpermana

rpermana Donor Donor

Ahh, thanks for the advise.

20. rpermana

rpermana Donor Donor

Hi,

define ("MAX_SIZE","100");

after looking at upload.php, above code is already there. So, it shouldn't allow users to upload pic more than 100MB by default right?

But after checking, found out that this particular user actually uploaded a picture of 1,207.79 KB.