1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent Code Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by shibuya246, May 15, 2013.

1. shibuya246

shibuya246 Hotaru Developer Staff Member Admin

v.1.5.0 is almost ready to be released, but after a long period of no updates, a lot of last minute things are being included in the release which is holding it up a bit. The main things we are looking at right now are making sure that bootstrap will work with the default theme as well as not altering the other themes that have been created for Hotaru CMS. It is possible some minor edits to these themes may be required, but we are testing many of them to try and limit the problems.

Plugins are also being looked at to try and make sure they work smoothly

A few more days and v.1.5.0 should be available for everyone. Thanks to all those who have been beta testing. There may be one last beta release before we go live with the release version

Looking to the future development of Hotaru CMS, we will continue to improve things and also look to add some functions users require

Some of the hot topics which are important in development for Hotaru CMS are

• Improve Spam fighting tools and make fighting spam fun rather than a hassle
    • Improve speed of sites by using better db query calls, more choice of caching tools, using some ajax calls to load widgets after initial page display

• Encourage other users to make plugins with our help
    • Encourage members to talk on the forums and exchange ideas rather than just writing wish lists
    • Encourage use of Github so the Hotaru CMS community can work as a team

• Simplify theme development and encourage members to make new unique themes

• Add functionality for embedding media objects
    • Improve submit process so users can more easily add content
    • Improve user profile section so users get their own page they feel proud to promote to others
    • Improve UI experience for install

• Create a website for Hotaru CMS Plugins
    • Create a website for Hotaru CMS Themes

• Promote Hotaru CMS to host companies and auto software scripts like Softaculous, Fantastico Deluxe etc

• Revisit discussion ideas on groups

See anything you can help us with here?

It is not all coding. The promotion particularly to auto software scripts is a key to growth of this community. Let us know who can help with what

newjobnow, skorpyo, Please and 3 others like this.
  2. carlo75

carlo75 Design & Development

So... seems HotaruCMS is still alive and I'm very exciting for that!

Btw for theming development, I think that improve and increase docs are a really a must. Something like codex on Wordpress will be a great resource, and we can try to implement sponsorship for encourage new themes development.

shibuya246 likes this.
  3. shibuya246

Thanks. Totally agree. We tried to use the wiki codex for docs in the first stage, http://docs.hotarucms.org but found it hard to update and also hard to style.
    Do you know any good doc codex software platforms we can use ?

4. carlo75

I think wordpress codex is the best,
    I'll try to find some valid alternative software open source, that fits our needs.

5. shibuya246

Thanks
    Wordpress runs on MediaWiki 1.15.5

docs.hotaruCMS runs on MediaWiki 1.16.0

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

I think I originally started the docs.hotarucms.org site because I liked the wordpress codex :)

maybe we need to tidy up the theme and improve some things. It just always seemed hard to add and edit content. The wordpress blogs are much easier to maintain than the codex

6. shibuya246

I will look into upgrading our installation of mediawiki and then change theme.

The real work will come on writing the docs though. It takes a lot of work to keep them current as development is done

7. carlo75

Sure, completely agree.
    Mediawiki is pretty cool for codex sections, but a little graphical re-organization of the contents can help people to understand better them.

8. suresh

suresh Moderator

I can help to you in few methods, by making a website for themes or plugins, haven't made any such type of site in my life, but will try one for this lovely community.
    I will also try to promote on forums and almost had an account on so many forums, including hosting websites.
    I can know some part of coding either in themes or modules, but I am not doing currently, will try if I get time. I will be visiting this forum daily so that I can help at least to newbies what I know.
    Please let me know any free script that can be useful for themes or plugins download, I will make the site and update the site from time to time.

Thanks shibuya
    Suresh

Please, shibuya246 and Nick like this.
  9. blinger187

blinger187 New Member

so happy to see updates to hotaru

shibuya246 likes this.