1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roadmap Version 1.7

Discussion in 'RoadMap' started by shibuya246, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shibuya246

shibuya246 Hotaru Developer Staff Member Admin

Version 1.7 development will commence immediately upon deciding on the basic feature set

[Placeholder for agreed functions to add]

Please give me your ideas in the replies to this for:
    • What are the 2 key features you want to see added to Hotaru CMS
    • What are the 2 key features you want to improve / fixed in Hotaru CMS

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. studee

studee Active Member

hi,
    good to see you are taking hotaru forward, i haven't used hotaru on a live site but i have used it locally, now i want to make a site powered by hotaru , some features i can suggest. i cant sugest any fix as off now users using it on a live site can point to it.

1. bootstrap 3
    2. native memcached support
    3. user profile enhancement [avatar upload > crop ]
    4. get a clear flat template with font awesome 4 .
    5. point system for users for actions.

last thought work the core functionality in a way to market hotaru as a deal / coupon posting site , along side the social bookmarking.

shibuya246 likes this.
  3. shibuya246

Thanks for these ideas. I agree about FontAwesome for sure. I will try to work it into ver 1.6 release. BS3 will also be in ver 1.6 and hopefully memcache. I will add FA4 to the ver 1.6 RoadMap

A re-coding of the avatar upload to allow crop and maybe also use Facebook Avatar etc is also something that has been pending for a while. Depending on what others think that may be set out for ver 1.7 or ver 1.8

We have a point system plugin called User Rankings. Is this the type of thing you had in mind or something a bit different? I think this would continue to be developed as a plugin rather than core at the moment, but happy to have it discussed a bit more here first before moving the discussion to a separate thread for it
    http://forums.hotarucms.org/threads/user-rankings-0-2.518/

Thanks again for your feedback. If you have any trouble running Hotaru on a live site let us know in the Forum thread for Installing and I am sure someone will help out.

4. valMETNG

valMETNG Administrator Staff Member Admin

I was surprised yesterday when a user asked me, after posting a profile image, where the background image upload was (i.e., that would go within the large rectangular box at the top of a user's profile behind the user's avatar). I was interested as to why this was an important request. I almost never use facebook so was unfamiliar with the background image. But I guess facebook users post not only an avatar but also a background that the avatar sits on top of (at the top of their wall). When I inquired why this feature was important, the answer I received was because people like images.

I'm not sure if this is something many facebook users like or use. However, if there's going to be a re-write of avatar upload, it might be something to consider. But this also leads to a more global consideration: do you allow users to upload multiple images (which reside in a directory or album) which a user can then use to switch between easily (or even allow users to scroll through)? As the community considers this, you might want to look at http://kcfinder.sunhater.com which is an open source file manager for ckeditor but might be useful as a model for more global file management functionality. Incorporating more global file management would then allow plugins to focus on what to do with the picture, rather than the upload process itself (which could be consistent across all of hotaru).

5. shibuya246

Thanks. the original ideas was to allow the user to upload their own background image, just like on FB, Twitter and G+. When the version was released the upload function wasnt included and so the user cant change to their own image yet.

It would be a good idea to have a standard uploader which all plugins could work off

6. shibuya246

7. valMETNG

Interesting, and all in Javascript. My Javascript stinks so it's difficult for me to determine how easy it would be to incorporate this. I incorporated http://kcfinder.sunhater.com into my site, but only for ckeditor. It wasn't awful and seems to do the job. However, I haven't looked into how easy it would be to integrated it as base upload functionality. I don't imagine it would be that complicated, but I'm also not sure it would be the best solution.

As an aside, it appears the Wordpress plugin allows drag and drop, which means base64. Based on my research, base64 injection attacks seemed pretty common so I removed drop and drag functionality. Should you wish to strip base 64: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...-from-a-base64-string-of-any-image-type-in-ph

shibuya246 likes this.
  8. valMETNG

May not be relevant to most sites but, as it sounds like there will be major modifications in 1.7, you might consider changing all BASEURL and SITEURL references to take into account SSL when appropriate. (This would also impact .htaccess, which could probably use a complete rethinking anyway.) For actions like registering, logging in, logged-on transactions, confirmations, etc., I've made a number of modifications of my code throughout to force an https: connection. I remember it not being very easy to modify the code to handle secure connections but, with the competition out there now and the increased focus on security, I would expect this would be an increasing requirement for site owners.

shibuya246 likes this.
  9. valMETNG

Ran across an interesting article today called Removing Unused CSS. I find myself doing a miserable job when it comes to .css, and using plugins with their own .css files, although useful for encouraging plugin development, means that I'm likely also contributing to larger .css files with a lot of irrelevant code. Using Bootstrap 3 will help streamline .css in future versions, but this technique might be useful to also increase page loading time by reducing .css file sizes.

10. wildgemma

wildgemma New Member

Glad I found this thread as many of the others (plugins, etc) seem to be from last year and I was fearing I would have to go back to Pligg :eek:

But since Hotaru is still in development I can happily say I don't need to, yay! :D:p

shibuya246 likes this.
  11. shibuya246

At some point we need to stop relying on PEAR Mail which hasnt been updated in a long time and instead use something else, maybe PHPMailer ?

12. shibuya246

I have replaced PEAR mail now with PHP Mailer and tested it with English language only
    I have also restyled the admin menu quite a bit. It looks like this

hotaru-admin-menu.JPG

valMETNG, wildgemma and sereban like this.
  13. shibuya246

Have you tried your site on the 1.6.1 version now? I think the admin problems you mentioned before are fixed. If you need any help let me know

14. shibuya246

I am reviewing the CSRF security code at the moment and will be making some changes in this for the next version

The phpMailer code is now also set at stage 1 (meaning it just replaces the old PEAR code, but doesn't add any extra functionality yet)

The admin pages have also had a style upgrade

Some stats and queries will be added to core for use here also

I am hoping to pull the information from these forums in the "Resource" section via REST Api, showing the available plugins, themes and their version numbers, and then displaying that in the admin dashboard as well. Hopefully we can make it easier to update plugins from there.

Still reviewing the way to change some of the plugins to be in the main code

These are the basic items for v.1.7.

Does anybody have anything else they are thinking of?

15. sereban

sereban Active Member

Save Post 0.8.
    Ajax comment loading.
    Follow - Fatal error: Call to undefined method Activity::activityContent() \content\plugins\follow\templates\follow_followers.php on line 94
    Fatal error: Call to undefined method Activity::activityContent() \content\plugins\follow\templates\follow_followers.php on line 94.

16. shibuya246

Can you tell me a little bit more about this error please?

when does it come up?

17. sereban

sereban Active Member

Attached Files:

18. shibuya246

Can you confirm whether this is the code in the follow/templates/follow_followers.php file you have?
    around line 94, where your error is showing

Code:
    if (!$action) { echo "No activity yet."; } else {
                            include_once (PLUGINS . 'activity/libs/ActivityFunctions.php');
                            $activityFuncs = new ActivityFunctions();
                            echo $activityFuncs->activityContent($h, $action['Activity_follow_activity']);
                            if ($follow_settings['follow_show_time_date']) {
                                echo "<br /><small>[" . date('g:ia, M jS', strtotime($action['Activity_follow_activity']->useract_date)) . "]</small>";
                            }
                        }

I think you may have an old version of the follow plugin
    I have version 0.6

19. shibuya246

Have now finished the CSRF updates. It works on all bookmarking plugins. May need others to test on other plugins.

Have made a few minor updates to default theme also

Am thinking of including Groups into core rather than as a plugin. Is there any demand for this?

20. sereban

sereban Active Member

I use follow 0.6. This is my code from line 88 to 100..
    Code:
     <td class="follow_activity">
                        <?php
                        $action = $h->pluginHook('follow_activity', '', array($user->user_id));

if (!$action) { echo "No activity yet."; } else {
                            $activity = new Activity();
                            echo $activity->activityContent($h, $action['Activity_follow_activity']);
                            if ($follow_settings['follow_show_time_date']) {
                                echo "<br /><small>[" . date('g:ia, M jS', strtotime($action['Activity_follow_activity']->useract_date)) . "]</small>";
                            }
                        }
                        ?>
                    </td>       

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.