1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, what next for HotaruCMS?

Discussion in 'Bookmarking Discussions and More' started by nothingman, May 9, 2011.

1. nothingman

nothingman Active Member

Happened to read seekyt's comment that Nick has moved on and has abandoned HotaruCMS. I understand Nick's frustration(?) and wish him well in his endeavours.

Coming to the topic, what next for HotaruCMS? and now that Nick has abandoned this project I guess we won't have any future releases. OR has someone taken over or is planning to?

Having followed Nick from Pligg to SWCMS (right from the time SWCMS had Ashdigg etc) and then 'porting' my site on from SWCMS to HotaruCMS I feel we are left in the lurch. :(

My rant apart, what next?

2. ilovehotaru

ilovehotaru Active Member

I hear you, hopefully it will live on and improve and evolve over time. I still think it is one of the best CMS available even in it's current state.

3. angolanmade

angolanmade Well-Known Member

Any plans? Sad news!

4. tombr

tombr New Member

I think we are on our own.. the good news is that the source is open and there aren't many bugs, the code is well organized and documented..

5. krankdroid

krankdroid New Member

even with more than 100 plugins, there is still a few features i miss. i dont hope this is the start of the end for hotaru cms

6. WimTibackx

WimTibackx New Member

Hate to "advertise" but for the sake of giving information, I am working on a fork. It will however feature lots of changes to the API and inner workings, so I'm not sure if it's a very appealing alternative to the users here. I am planning to port the most important Hotaru plugins when I get the time, though.

I won't post a link here, because that would be inappropriate, but those who are interested can send me a pm or mail me at wim@wimtibackx.be

7. ilovehotaru

Questions to the founders and core team: what would it take in the way of donations to keep this thing going? If there is a reasonable number that is attainable, perhaps a point could be made that all of us could donate enough to have hotaru continue on

8. FLX

FLX Donor Donor

It would be atleast handy to get an official confirmation from the Hotaru CMS staff that this project has been abandoned. It's a shame but it happens.

9. tombr

tombr New Member

agreed.. if not for us, for the people who are deciding now if they wanna start a new project using Hotaru.

10. icde

icde New Member

So nothing new yet? How about the fork? Would be sad to abandon such a nice project, even though I can understand why. Everything is still here, can't someone else just try and take over.

11. ilovehotaru

I agree, it really is a shame if this project just fizzles out into the sunset. I have tried all manner of cms out there, wordpress, joomla, drupal, pligg etc, etc.. and none of them seem as "fun" as hotaru. If I were a better developer I'd try to keep the project going.

12. icde

icde New Member

it's not that i don't understand why official support for hotaru stopped, I just think they could've gone a different way than dropping it completely. it's clear that hotaru is still gathering support and people want to use it. so why don't the developers(nick) maybe spend less time on adding extras and just spend some time, as would be appropriate of a hobby, maintaining Hotaru, while the rest of the community adds the extras. it seems fair and also offers hotaru the opportunity of generating income for developers from new themes, plugins, hosting, upgrades etc..

13. angolanmade

angolanmade Well-Known Member

I totally agree...Its really a shame that Hotaru CMS has officially stopped. I can only say thank you for all the developers specially Nick who has poured thousands of hours in maintaining and developing this wonderful CMS.
    Hotaru is still growing, largely because of its ease of use, customization opportunities and flexibility to build just about any type of website you want.

I believe that the owners of Hotaru CMS should reconsider whatever halted this project and move forward. If that is not possible, at the very least the community deserves an official announcement. The community also helped built this project and is still very much alive.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  14. tran_tien

tran_tien New Member

Hotaru : abandoned
    Drigg : abandoned
    Left Pligg ???

15. nothingman

nothingman Active Member

Even the forums are at Pagerank 4 now.

True. I'm really looking for an official confirmation and would like to move/port my site to other CMSs - I've got meneame on my head but I wonder how difficult it would be to port Hotaru to Meneame - if anyone is interested in taking up the job I'm ready to pool in some moolah.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  16. Polo Kina

Polo Kina New Member

I'm new to HotaruCMS and working on my site right now. I wish Nick hadn't moved on but he did and I respect his decision... What about the status of other core developers? What is their reasons to stop development of this wonderful CMS? [Even at it's current state, it's way better than Pligg]

Nothingman, If the reason is financial support/donations, I think we'd be better of donating our money to HotaruCMS to jump start it rather than spending money/time/resources to port websites to other CMSs [Which I bet they won't be as great.]

Like I said, I'm just getting started with HotaruCMS and I'm in love with it. My site isn't up and running yet but I'm willing to donate money out of my pocket and pledge to give a good percentage of what I make off of my site every month in perpetuity.

Let's not be helpless and take some initiative to get this thing going! Who's with me guys?

17. Jason

Jason New Member

Silly question but, if the application suits your needs, why port to something else?

18. icde

icde New Member

It's more about what will be available in the future... You need the core updates for security and keeping up with the latest changes in other "technologies".