1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twitter Thumbs 0.2

Discussion in 'Deprecated Plugins' started by JonH, Mar 2, 2010.

1. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

Twitter Thumbs
    Version: 0.2
    Author: Jon H
    Created on: 2010/03/02
    Tested on: HotaruCMS 1.0.5 ~ 1.3.0
    Plugins Required: widgets
    Plug & Play: Yes
    Supported: No

Description
    *** SORRY THIS PLUGIN NO LONGER WORKS SINCE TWITTER STARTED USING OAUTH ***
    My apologies!​

Twitter Thumbs is a sidebar widget that shows your sites Twitter follower count and followers thumbnails ( or people you follow) tweets. The thumbnail grid looks just like the one on Twitter pages (see example pic )

Instructions
    1. Upload the "twitter_thumbs" folder to your plugins folder. Install it from Plugin Management in Admin.
    2. Go to the Twitter Thumbs settings and enter your Twitter username and password.
    3. Turn widget on in the main "widget" plugin settings panel in admin.
    4. You can set up this widget to display your followers or people you follow by editing twitter_thumbs.php,.

Special thanks to Antonio Lupetti - See tutorial at http://woork.blogspot.com/2009/06/super-simple-way-to-work-with-twitter.html and the Twitter API Wiki.

Twitter thumbnails hosted by http://img.tweetimag.es

This widget utilizes Hotaru's smartCache feature to get around Twitters 150/hr API call limit (Thanks Nick!). It will only update every 10 minutes or when a new story is posted this is why the Submit plugin is needed.

If your site is in debug mode you can see how many hits you have left that hour before you get to the 150/hr limit to make sure the caching is working correctly.

This is a variation of Twitter Widget using twitterlibphp (but looks much cooler IMO).
    Future plans: Integrate this with Twitter Widget and let the admin select which one to use in the settings page along with how many followers to show etc.

To change the number of followers/friends to show (100 max) open twitter_thumbs.php line 115 -
    if($i < 97){ //show up to 100 friends

To show friends you follow instead of followers (keeps spammers from showing up) twitter_thumbs.php line 99
    $friends = $twitter->getFollowers(); to getFriends

Revision History
    v.0.2 2010/05/27 - Nick - Added options for cache duration and number of follower avatars to display.
    v.0.1 2010/03/02 - JonH - Released first version

Please click "Rate Thread" and give this plugin a rating. Thank you.

Attached Files:

baadier and Nick like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Another smart plugin. Great work!

3. JonH

JonH Admin & Design

Thanks! I threw it together kinda quick so it could probably use some testing, I checked it in IE and Firefox.

4. baadier

baadier Well-Known Member

im having problems downloading the plugin, am i the only one?

Working now, cheers

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

In the plugin management page, there's an "undefined offset" error. It's an easy fix, though. Just change
    Code:
    * requires: Widgets
    to
    Code:
    * requires: widgets 0.7
    on line 8 of twitter_thumbs.php.

In other words, "requires" needs the a plugin folder name and version number instead of the plugin class.

6. yes

yes Banned

The blue bird background gets partially cut off with the shibuya theme.

7. SocialLinks

SocialLinks New Member

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class Twitter in ***/public_html/content/plugins/twitter_thumbs/libs/twitter_lib.php on line 530

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

As far as I know, this plugin hasn't been updated to use OAuth, which is now required by Twitter. In other words, this plugin no longer works.