1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vote 2.3 2.5

Let users vote for posts

1. skorpyo

skorpyo Well-Known Member

I have a public site and I don't want to risk with this...maybe if someone else can test it on a test site...
    Thanks again for this!

2. shibuya246

shibuya246 Hotaru Developer Staff Member Admin

It looks fairly solid. Why dont you save your existing content/plugins/vote folder and give the new vote folder a go. If you have problems you can easily just replace it with the old files again. I think you will find everything goes well.

Hotaru is fully open source, so it would be nice to see more people working with us to create plugins, make new themes or help test the latest code. Not everyone can program, but at least we can all pitch in and test to provide feedback :)

3. skorpyo

Pleased to say that works like a charm....thanks again for this.
    BTW, I'll be making a superb theme for Hotaru community soon...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  4. shibuya246

Perfect. Look forward to seeing your theme.

5. skorpyo

BTW...when an anonymous user votes...on the activity stream shows no name but after a refresh of the page...gets my username...how to change that to show the "anonymous" name and stay that way?

6. shibuya246

I just updated the activity plugin to allow this. Let me know how you go
    http://hotarucms.org/showthread.php?227-Activity-0.9&p=710#post710

skorpyo likes this.
  7. skorpyo

seems to work great...thanks for this...and for taking my suggestions in consideration...you're the best!

Edit: well...I think the activity widget should get the same fix...don't you?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  8. shibuya246

It works for the widget on my site. Do you have the tick box on in admin settings to show usernames / gravatars? Can you remind me of your url so i can check it out?

9. skorpyo

10. shibuya246

I just voted for a post on your site without logging in and it entered into the activity widget fine. maybe you are logged in when you have been trying to vote?

Yo uhave to be logged out in order to vote anonymously

web-mee-activity.JPG

11. skorpyo

yeah...that was when it didn't have the fix...it's working fine now...thanks again.

Edit: here we go again...take a look now on the sidebar at the activity...it changed the anonymous name to mine...but on the activity page its fine...WTH?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  12. shibuya246

try downloading the file again. I changed the selection for userid to call it a different way. also check whether the rss feed for activity works as required.
    http://hotarucms.org/showthread.php?227-Activity-0.9&p=710#post710

13. baadier

baadier Well-Known Member

Does the new anonymous vote feature take into account the "count click throughs as vote" as well?

14. shibuya246

No, but it could if you want. I just thought it was overkill to count every click through as a vote particularly since people were not logged in.

15. baadier

baadier Well-Known Member

i think one of the biggest problems for new sites is showing that theyre being used,i think that would go a long way in that regard and as the site grows the admin could take it back off at there discretion.

16. shibuya246

ok, ill take a look at adding this :)

Gunaxin likes this.
  17. Gunaxin

Gunaxin Well-Known Member

Shibuya, thanks for working on these long desired features. I'm hoping to spend some time later tonight to get everything upgraded and would love to enable the Anonymous voting. Unfortunately though I use the Up/Down voting plugin though. I haven't looked at the code yet to see if I can figure out how to implement these changes on that version, but figured I'd toss out an inquiry if you could point me in the right direction. I agree with many others who have stated that this will really help a site to make it look more used. The vote on click through will be excellent as well. The more votes that people see, the more likely they will be to register and submit their own stuff. Thanks again

18. shibuya246

I will also add these features into vote up/down next.

I have to rethink the click through vote feature for anonymous but think I can make it work ok.

19. nothingman

nothingman Active Member

Noticed that if I just turn off the v. 2.0 in plugin management, overwrite the files with v. 2.1 and turn on the plugin, the voting works but above every post I got the following undefined index error.

Uninstalling v. 2.0, overwriting the v. 2.0 files with v. 2.1 and then installing it resolved the issue though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  20. Gunaxin

Gunaxin Well-Known Member

Just wanted to check back in and see if you had a chance to work on this yet.