1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vote 2.3 2.5

Let users vote for posts

1. angolanmade

angolanmade Well-Known Member

Guys I'm looking for a way to automatically increase vote count when a user clicks on the URL of a submitted post without a url/link?
    The option to automatically increase vote count when clicking a post link doesn't work?
    We have some several stories, usually original content that doesn't move up because this functionality.

Any suggestions/tips would awesome.

Thanks in advance.

2. rpermana

rpermana Donor Donor

Hi,

You need to activate it from plugin settings > Vote > Automatically vote for a story you submit

3. angolanmade

rpermana,

That option is already activated, as well as the "Automatically count a users vote when they click on the URL link". The issue here is that if you submit a story/article without a url the votes don't automatically count when clicking that story.

4. rpermana

rpermana Donor Donor

Please check if your footer.php has :

<?php $h->showQueriesAndTime(); ?>

I did remove this line of code the other day and it gave same error.

5. angolanmade

Sorry rpermana, I don't think that has anything do with what im asking. Thank you for efforts.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. rpermana

rpermana Donor Donor

just based on my experience where i remove that line of code and it didn't vote automatically.

Anyway, can't help anymore .. maybe Nick can help you out on this :)

7. scw

scw New Member

Vote 2.3
    Hotaru installed in mydomain. com/sub-folder/content/...

The alert.png is visible, but does nothing (that I am visibly aware of) when clicked and I don't see flag_red.png or flag_yellow.png
    Will I need to locate and change some paths within vote.php or vote_alert.php?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. angolanmade

Hey Nick/Petsagouris,

Can you give me a response to my question?

Thanks in advance.

9. rmk344

rmk344 New Member

Hello-

Does anyone know of a way to allow unlimited votes from users and all ips? I.e., plugin wouldn't check if user or ip has voted in the past. I realize this raises several issues ,but in the short term for a young site it might be useful to get some more votes.

Thanks!

10. skorpyo

skorpyo Well-Known Member

How can I add the vote button somewhere else...lets say on the extra fields section of the post where the comments link is?! Thanks in advance...

Edit: I guess no one knows...not even the developer?!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  11. Gunaxin

Gunaxin Well-Known Member

Some people have asked in various ways before about how to increase votes. I too wanted to do the same thing, as I know my site is being used, but people aren't voting regularly. So I put a little hack in place to increase the vote total when people click on the links. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to work every time, but it works enough to make the vote totals go up into the 100s which is perfect. See an example here (NSFW I guess, but that's what people like to click on)

http://links.gunaxin.com/sort/top-30-days/

Keep in mind that this doesn't log the vote, and it allows for anonymous voting. In reality is really counting clickthroughs, not votes, which I guess is a bit disingenuous, but most people looking for this solution don't care. We're just trying to increase activity on our sites by showing how active the site really is. I'm actually going to work to change our site around a bit, where we lose the "voting" angle, and instead show popularity based on clicks.

In my theme, on the links themselves, I just added the following code :

Code:
    onclick="vote( <?php echo $h->post->id; ?>, 10);"

Probably not the best way to do it, but I normally just go with the way that works for me first. So if someone else wants to work on a plugin for that, knock yourself out. If you just want to add a hack in a couple of places on your theme templates like I did, there yah go. Enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  12. angolanmade

Gunaxin,

Nice little hack and much appreciated...can you please be a little more specific with where to add the the code:

13. chaosintestinal

chaosintestinal New Member

hello the plug in voting works but i have the same problem with the scripts "vote" and "up&down vote". When i click to vote (or up and down vote), instead to move 1-->2 like reedit or digg it gave me an error "err".

you can see it yourself here : http://chaosintestinal.ch.funpic.org/scipts/hotaru/

login : user
    password : userpass (if you want to try without register)

Is it a know problem ?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  14. skorpyo

but...doesn't the plugin do that by itself? like state in the plugins settings page: "Automatically count a users vote when they click on the URL link". Or is that another feature, an unrelated one? Just saying...

15. Gunaxin

The key word there being "users" I suppose. The plugin has an option to count votes from Users, but I am fairly certain that only is for people who have an account and are logged in. My hack works for most everyone (it doesn't seem to count every click for some reason, but enough for my needs)

16. Gunaxin

Sorry I didn't see this response till now. My theme is a bit different, but essentially you add it to wherever you have a link to the original url. We do that from the list view, as well as the post page. So this is in my bookmarking_list :

Code:
    <a href='<?php echo $h->post->origUrl; ?>' <?php echo $h->vars['target']; ?> class="click_to_source" onclick="vote( <?php echo $h->post->id; ?>, 10); javascript:pageTracker._trackPageview('/outbound/article/<?php echo substr($h->post->domain, 7);?>');"><?php echo truncate($h->post->title, 43, true); ?> </a>

In there I have the Vote Counting and Google Analytics tracking of outgoing clicks (which I posted in another thread someplace).

17. skorpyo

This hack just doesn't work for me...I get an error saying: "Catchable fatal error: Object of class Post could not be converted to string in /_/_/public_html/content/themes/wmv4/bookmarking_list.php on line 19"

18. skorpyo

asking again..how can I put the voting in other places?

19. PuckRobin

PuckRobin New Member

20. skorpyo

what is not clear...I want the vote block...to show in other place...like on the left or where the extra_links are...but I managed to place them by adding the
    PHP:
    <?php $h->pluginHook('pre_show_post'); ?>
    where ever you need it...