1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voting V. Rating

Discussion in 'Bookmarking Discussions and More' started by shibuya246, Nov 5, 2014.

1. shibuya246

shibuya246 Hotaru Developer Staff Member Admin

I was wondering what people thought about a large vote button that acts a lot like the Facebook Like button versus other types of voting for posts?

Before the Like button became popular thanks to Facebook, a simple voting of articles and posts seemed common on social bookmarking. Now we have a lot more choices when we see an article. We can share it, subscribe to it, like it, rate it, flag it, follow it ...

Google has "Rich Snippets" which allows you to display a rating against products services or articles with a star based rating of 0~5. Here is an example of the google search result for Hotaru from a download site

We also have this rating system running on our forum software and those results appear on google as well

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 10.12.01 AM.jpg

These search results really stand out on Google and attract peoples attention to click on the article, like this one I was looking at

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 10.10.06 AM.jpg

Clicking on this page took me to a very brief article but it had this at the end of it

Screen Shot 2014-11-006.jpg

An easy star rating

My question is, should we be taking advantage of these Google Rich Snippets or not?

Technically, these ratings are only available for certain types of content

So it may not apply to everyone sites

My further thought is, when I look at ipadrank.com and I see an interesting article, I dont feel voting achieved much for me. The button is big yet the reward is small :)

On Facebook if I vote for something I expect that others will then see it, due to the NewsFeed algorithm sorting based on popularity. On ipadrank there is no indication that the content changes based on my vote.

On the popular BuzzFeed site, which is a mix between social bookmarking and something else ...., the user can rate which category the article should fit into

http://www.buzzfeed.com/

This is a good way of engaging the user to add to the content without making their part too difficult. It is a bit like flagging a post on our system, but the flags are not all bad ones for reporting the content. The flags help to categorize the content for others to then see it, with some overlays on the images of popular tags, like OMG, Cool, Wow, etc.

The overall vote count on ipadrank does draw me in to looking at a particular article. If the votes are high I will look to see who has voted. This is useful, but when I find who has voted I often want to comment directly at that person (yet still publicly) to say something like, 'I saw you voted for this also. It looks good doesnt it?', so I am not just talking to nobody. This is a bit different to commenting back to a blog author who has written something. Since with bookmarking we dont have an author really. We have a link finder. I think people might comment more if they were talking to people.

I might end up talking about comments too much here instead of voting.

What are others thoughts on Voting v. Rating ?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014